OraDisc™ Formulation Flexibility
The mucoadhesive film can be designed to erode over a period of time ranging from 15 minutes to 3 hours. This is achieved by:
- Adjusting the ratio of hydrophobic polymers to hydrophilic polymers -within a range of 1:1 to 8:1.
- Adjusting the thickness of the controlled erosion layer.
- Adjusting the thickness of the mucoadhesive layer.
Active substance can be incorporated in all layers of the device:
- Active is incorporated in the mucoadhesive layer for systemic delivery or local delivery to the mucosal surface.
- Active is incorporated in the controlled erosion layer or outer layers for multiple release profiles to the oral cavity.
The size and shape of the mucoadhesive film device can be altered depending on the application and the amount of drug to be delivered.
The mucoadhesive film has also been designed to adhere and deliver actives to the tooth surface.