OraDisc™ Product Opportunities
Opportunity for administration of products which currently cannot be effectively delivered orally:
- Poor GI tract absorption.
- Degradation by enzymes or low pH environment.
- Extensive first-pass metabolism.
- Delayed onset of action due to delayed absorption.
Product opportunities identified for development:
- Pain management (e.g. cancer pain, post surgical pain)
- Emesis (chemotherapy induced, post surgical emesis)
- Radiation induced oral thrush
- Enhancing weight gain (e.g. cancer and AIDS patients)
Product Opportunities-Consumer (OTC)
The mucoadhesive film technology is designed to overcome the problems associated with delivering products to the oral mucosa:
- Saliva can rapidly wash away a topically applied active compound prior to the therapeutic benefit being achieved.
- Action of eating, speaking, and drinking is some of the problems that have limited the usefulness of adherent pharmaceutical carriers.
Opportunities for delivery to the oral cavity include:
- Cough suppressant
- Sore throat remedy
- Breath freshener
Opportunities for delivery to the tooth surface include:
- Tooth whitening erodible strip
- De-sensitizing strip
- Fluoride strip
- Enhance tooth enamel strip